Sunday, September 21, 2008

Traditional Chinese Diaper


China has a population of over 1.3 billion. Considering this collective wisdom in raising babies, Kelsi and I thought it appropriate to pick up on a few child rearing techniques before starting our own family. We thought that the most brilliant idea was the Chinese way of diapering... or the lack thereof. Just in case you didn't notice at first glance, take another look at the pants these kids are wearing. We call them "Pee Pee pants," and about 95% of Chinese children wear them. Imagine the savings on diapers! Not to mention no arguments about who has to change them. We'll understand if you cover everything in tarps when we come to visit with our future children.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are crotchless pants- I have a friend here that starts potty training at 6 weeks and got the idea from the chinese.

ALYN said...

OK, maybe I'm totally clueless, since I've never been to a 3rd world country, but what exactly happens when the baby goes? On the ground? On the clothes? On the bedding? Surely tiny children don't have bowel control...? Sounds like lots of e.coli germs.

My question for the future parents, what type of flooring will your house have to accommodate accidents? Not carpet, I hope.

Denise and Ed said...

I'm afraid Grandma will have to appreciate your children from a distance...The Chinese idea of "Sanitary" leaves much to be desired.

the stahle's said...

Those pants are hilarious! I'm starting to potty train Madi right now maybe I should invest in a pair and test the theory but I am afraid for my floors. :)

You pictures have been amazing to look at. What a dream trip! Are you back?

nated said...

If only I had heard about this 4 years ago. By the way Rus, congrats on passing the bar.

jjediehl said...

The main difference in first to third world countries in how they handle the toiletries. If you like to bring back and use regressive ideas thats your choice.
This reminds me of house training dogs.
Uncle John

Ashley said...

THat's just gross my cousins Josh and Hyrum (the twins) thinks thats hillarious lol :)